Ruxz_M-rbu5hJUPoenSULdy6Wzk The Science of My Life: Johnny Appleseed Day

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Johnny Appleseed Day

My first grader celebrated J. A. Day on Monday with apple activities. (John Chapman was born September 26, 1774, although his official day is March 11)  It got me thinking that simple experiments could be added to the day, so I thought I would share a fun one from a great website...Howtosmile.org. This site allows users to share and find great STEM activities from the nation's top science museums. It is full of great ideas, and links you right to the actual museum for more information.

This experiment teaches about the difference between sugar and starch, which is a concept that I still cover with my college students. But kids are never too young to learn about chemistry!

Checking For Starch

No comments:

Post a Comment